|Shopping Cart||Primary News|
|Company Policy||Retail Store|
|What's||On Line Catalog||Monthly Specials||Contact Us|
Beer Making Glossary
- T -
- Complex polyphenol polymers with a characteristic astringent flavor, extracted from hops and the husks of barley. Tannins react with proteins and contribute to haze formation.
- Gray sludgy protein material that settles on top of the mash during sparging.
- terminal specific gravity
- The density of the fully fermented beer. The final specific gravity.
- Group of flavor chemicals forming the main component of hop oils.
- Sugar molecule consisting of four simple sugars (monosaccharides) linked together.
- A device used to measure temperature. A thermometer is indispensable for monitoring and maintaining mash schedules. Thermometers are characterized by their displays and are available in liquid scale, analog dial and digital versions.
- Heat loving. Thermophilic bacteria are bacteria that thrives at unusually high temperatures.
- The process, operation, or method of determining the concentration of a substance in solution by adding to it a standard reagent of known concentration in carefully measured amounts until a reaction of definite and known proportion is completed, as shown by a color change or by electrical measurement, and then calculating the unknown concentration.
- Process of rapidly heating grain so it puffs up like popcorn. Commonly applied to barley and wheat. Often used in British pale ales.
- Sugar molecule consisting of three simple sugars (monosaccharides) linked together.
- Coagulated protein and hop resin sludge which precipitates out of wort during boiling and again at chilling.
- Sediment or foreign particles stirred up or suspended.
- two-row barley
- A variety of malt that forms two seed rows along the stem on the grain head. Well modified with a high diastatic power allows mashing with up to 35% grain adjuncts. Because it is fairly neutral two-row makes an excellent base malt and is known as the "workhorse" of many recipes. Greater starch per weight ratio than six-row.